Volunteer Opportunities

The Town Manager is seeking volunteers for the following committees and boards to fill regular member seats or associate member seats. If interested, please submit a volunteer application (PDF) to the Town Manager's office.
You may also wish to review the Board and Committee Handbook

Agricultural Committee

The Agricultural Commission serves as a facilitator for encouraging the pursuit of agriculture in Bridgewater; promotes agricultural-based economic opportunities in Town; acts as a mediator, advocates, educates, and negotiates on farming issues; works to preserve prime agricultural lands; and pursues all initiatives appropriate to creating a sustainable agricultural community.

Cable Advisory Committee

The Cable Advisory Committee advises the Town Manager on matters relating to the licensing and supervision of the contract for cable television services in the Town consistent with state and federal law. It may also advise the Town Manager on negotiations during the contract renewal negotiation.

Citizens Advisory Committee

The Citizen Advisory Committee advises the Town Manager on the selection of appointees to Town multiple member bodies.

Cultural Council

The Cultural Council decides the distribution of arts lottery funds or other funds that may be available to it and may also conduct other activities to promote and encourage the arts, humanities, or interpretive sciences.

Disability Commission

The Disability Commission helps identify barriers to daily living for people with disabilities; advises municipal officials and employees in complying with state and federal laws and regulations that affect people with disabilities; plans programs in coordination with state programs designed to help people with disabilities; reviews and makes recommendations concerning policies, procedures, services, activities and facilities as they affect people with disabilities; and provides information, referrals, guidance and technical assistance to individuals, public agencies, businesses and organizations in all matters pertaining to disability.

Energy Committee

The Energy Committee advises town officials on energy conservation efforts throughout the Town, including but not limited to all municipal and school buildings, street lights, vehicles, and equipment. The Committee may recommend methods to monitor and manage energy costs. The Committee also advises concerning applications for grants from federal and state sources, including the Massachusetts Green Communities Program, and recommends changes to Town ordinances and policies to promote energy conservation and renewable energy use.

Historic District Committee

The Historic District Committee promotes the Historic District's educational, cultural, economic, aesthetic and literary significance through the preservation and protection of buildings, settings and places within the boundaries of the district and through the development and maintenance of appropriate exterior appearances of such buildings and places, so as to preserve and maintain the district as a contemporary landmark compatible with the historic, cultural, literary and aesthetic tradition of Bridgewater, as it existed in the early days of the Town. The Committee determines the appropriateness of exterior architectural features of buildings and structures to be erected within the district; passes upon the demolition or removal of any building or structure or any part thereof; determines the appropriateness of the erection or display of occupational, commercial or other signs and billboards within the district wherever a certificate of appropriateness is required. The Committee promulgates rules and regulations governing the issuance of certificates of appropriateness which shall be approved by the Town Council.

Historical Committee

The Historical Commission preserves, protects, and develops the historical and archaeological assets of the Town. The Commission may conduct research for places of historic and archaeological value, and cooperates with the State Archaeologist in conducting such research. It coordinates the activities of unofficial bodies organized for similar purposes and may, subject to appropriation and approval by the Town Manager, advertise, prepare, print and distribute books, maps, charts, plans and pamphlets which it deems necessary for its work.

Master Plan Committee

The Master Plan Committee is responsible for facilitating the implementation and updating of the Master Plan.

Open Space Committee

 The Open Space Committee advises the Town Manager on the preservation of open space, and on updating the Open Space Plan. The Committee evaluates opportunities for the acquisition and protection of open space parcels against a number of criteria, including whether the Town's acquisition of the parcel would (i) help preserve Bridgewater's character, (ii) protect Bridgewater's water resources, (iii)abut or conjoin existing conservation lands, (iv) provide public access for walking, biking or other passive recreation, (v) preserve or enhance distinctive streetscapes, views or vistas, or (vi) preserve important wildlife and/or vegetation habitat. To this end, the Committee works with Town residents, local officials, state and federal agencies, and private nonprofit land conservation organizations to further these open space objectives. The Committee advises the Town Manager on the development and content of the Open Space Plan.

Planning Board

The Planning Board makes recommendations to the Town Council with regard to any changes in the Zoning Ordinance of the Town. The Board is responsible for the regulation of subdivisions within the Town pursuant to MGL Chapter 41, §§ 81A through 81GG. It renders advice concerning land use planning to the Town Council. The Planning Board is responsible for the review and updates to the Town's Master Plan, and may appoint either a sub-committee of the Board or an independent committee to provide expertise and recommendations concerning the Master Plan and its components.

Zoning Board of Appeals

The Zoning Board of Appeals hears and decides individual cases brought by persons seeking land use relief, or appeals to the Building Inspector's decisions. It also hears and decides applications for comprehensive permits under MGL chapter 40B.