The Department of Community and Economic Development promotes quality of life and economic opportunity by facilitating a livable Bridgewater that is at once vibrant yet resilient. In so doing, the Department of Community and Economic Development partners with enterprise, citizens and local institutions thereby assuring an open public discourse towards achieving economic vitality, housing opportunities, safe and efficient transportation systems, and resource protection.
Considering Town of Bridgewater for business relocation or expansion? Bridgewater is open for Business! The Town of Bridgewater affords great space and sites that run the gamut from downtown storefronts to greenfield industrial, and everything between. We are pleased to be home to Bridgewater State University, a major public university enrolling nearly 11,000 students. Welcome to the Town of Bridgewater! When you're here, you're home.
NEW!Economic Development Department Procedures
To help residents and interested parties better understand how the Economic Development and Planning Offices function, below are some general procedures which the staff follow on a daily basis:
- The Planning Board maintains a schedule of deadlines which applicants must adhere to for their applications.
- Meeting agendas are posted no later than the Friday preceding the next Planning Board meeting.
- Notices of upcoming meetings and hearings are sent to all required departments at least one week prior to a scheduled Planning Board meeting whenever possible.
- All documents, (including decisions, minutes, notices, etc) are reviewed by the Community & Economic Development Director and/or the Town Engineer prior to distribution.
- Planning Board applications will not be considered complete unless they have been reviewed and approved by the Community & Economic Development Director and/or the Town Engineer.
- All approved decisions are sent electronically to the Building Department and the Board of Health.
- The Town of Bridgewater and VHB have completed the Final Draft of the 2017 Open Space and Recreation Plan Update. The Draft must be approved by Town Council and the State.
- Howard Stein Hudson produced a draft Complete Streets Prioritization Plan and draft Pedestrian Safety Assessment of Downtown Bridgewater. The Town submitted a Tier 3 Funding Application to Mass Dot on October 4th to make improvements to the Central Square area. Although these improvements are primarily focused on pedestrians, they will have safety benefits for cyclists and drivers as well.
- The Old Colony Planning Council is assisting with the update to the Housing Production Plan. The first public input session was well attended. Eric Arbeene presented background data. Current SHI. The second Public Information Session was held on 25 July 2017.
Please review the revised . The Affordable Housing Coordinator, Lisa Sullivan, has submitted a list of edits to OCPC. Enrolled pupil information provided by B-R Administrative Offices.
- The Planning Board Public Hearing for amendments to the Rules and Regulations is continued until 7:00 pm, 20 September 2017.
Regulations and Application Materials
- Subdivision Rule and Regulations (PDF)
- Approval Not Required Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Definitive Subdivision Plan Checklist (PDF)
- BRIDGEWATER ZONING ORDINANCE
- Bridgewater Zoning Map (PDF)
- Minor Modification Form Site Plan Review (PDF)
- Major Modification Form Site Plan Review (PDF)
- Site Plan Submittal Check List (PDF)
- Site Plan Application (PDF)
Resources and Plans
- Planning Board 2018 Schedule
- Bridgewater Downtown Revitalization Plan
- Bridgewater Rec Needs Assess_FINAL_04-11-16
- Subsidized Housing Inventory 2016
- OCPC Downtown Bridgewater Market Analysis 2016
- South Coast Rail FAQs
- Phased Corridor Map - South Coast Rail
- Bridgewater HPP-Final Draft-Report (002)
- Bridgewater HPP-July 25 OCPC Presentation-Updated 7-25-17
This page provides the public with information on current affordable housing/ MGL Ch 40B proposals before the Town of Bridgewater. Each link contains documentation related to each proposed project.
Download various types of business licenses.