The Department of Community and Economic Development promotes quality of life and economic opportunity by facilitating a livable Bridgewater that is at once vibrant yet resilient. In so doing, the Department of Community and Economic Development partners with enterprise, citizens and local institutions thereby assuring an open public discourse towards achieving economic vitality, housing opportunities, safe and efficient transportation systems, and resource protection.
Considering Town of Bridgewater for business relocation or expansion? Bridgewater is open for Business! The Town of Bridgewater affords great space and sites that run the gamut from downtown storefronts to greenfield industrial, and everything between. We are pleased to be home to Bridgewater State University, a major public university enrolling nearly 11,000 students. Welcome to the Town of Bridgewater! When you're here, you're home.
NEW!Economic Development Department Procedures
To help residents and interested parties better understand how the Economic Development and Planning Offices function, below are some general procedures which the staff follow on a daily basis:
- The Planning Board maintains a schedule of deadlines which applicants must adhere to for their applications.
- Meeting agendas are posted no later than the Friday preceding the next Planning Board meeting.
- Notices of upcoming meetings and hearings are sent to all required departments at least one week prior to a scheduled Planning Board meeting whenever possible.
- All documents, (including decisions, minutes, notices, etc) are reviewed by the Community & Economic Development Director and/or the Town Engineer prior to distribution.
- Planning Board applications will not be considered complete unless they have been reviewed and approved by the Community & Economic Development Director and/or the Town Engineer.
- All approved decisions are sent electronically to the Building Department and the Board of Health.
- The Town of Bridgewater and VHB have completed the Final Draft of the 2017 Open Space and Recreation Plan Update. The Draft must be approved by the State.
- Howard Stein Hudson produced a draft Complete Streets Prioritization Plan and draft Pedestrian Safety Assessment of Downtown Bridgewater. The Town submitted a Tier 3 Funding Application to Mass Dot on October 4th to make improvements to the Central Square area. Although these improvements are primarily focused on pedestrians, they will have safety benefits for cyclists and drivers as well.
- The Planning Board recently adopted new Subdivision Control Rules and Regulations.
Regulations and Application Materials
- BW-ZONING MAP-COLOR-1-19-18
- BRIDGEWATER ZONING BYLAWS 10-12-2018
- PB-rules-and-regs as amended 09-06-18
- Approval Not Required Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Definitive Subdivision Plan Checklist (PDF)
- Minor Modification Form Site Plan Review (PDF)
- Major Modification Form Site Plan Review (PDF)
- Site Plan Submittal Check List (PDF)
- Site Plan Application (PDF)
Resources and Plans
- Planning Board 2018 Schedule
- Bridgewater Downtown Revitalization Plan
- Bridgewater Housing Production Plan - As Approved 02.27.18
- Bridgewater OSRP 2017 Update_FINAL_FOR STATE APPROVAL_082018
- Bridgewater Rec Needs Assess_FINAL_04-11-16
- Subsidized Housing Inventory 2016
- OCPC Downtown Bridgewater Market Analysis 2016
- South Coast Rail FAQs
- Phased Corridor Map - South Coast Rail